Saturday 31 October 2020

[News] News of October

Here are the News of October:

  • Hungary will issue its "Cartoon and fairy-tale characters" souvenir sheet on 4th November. The theme will be Frakk, the Cats' Nightmare, but although it will be issued next week no pictures are yet available. Another sheet in this series is already planned for 2021.
  • Following San Marino Italy also issued a stamp for the Birth Centenary of Gianni Rodari. The image became available on the issue date and shows a child with a balloon. I saw that this is the logo of a children's literature prize, but I am not sure whether it is from one of Rodari's books or not. For my own collection I am anyway not interested.
  • I really hate when stamp images are published last minute, so it was a welcome surprise that the pictures of the Star Trek issue from the United Kingdom became already available recently. There are opinions about this set vary and range from love to hate. Personally I like the stamps, but I will not get them for my own collection, as I was never a big fan of Star Trek. Also I do not understand why these stamps are issued this year.
  • This is the wonderful time of the year when many countries publish their stamp programmes for the next year. The most interesting issue I have seen so far (apart from the German issues) comes from Belgium. Planned for the 25th January 2021 is an issue called Straffe Stripdames, which most probably translates to Strong Women in Comics. It will be interesting to see which characters will be featured in this set. Most likely images will be available in December.
  • These are so far all issues about childhood heroes that I am aware of for 2021: Straffe Stripdames (Belgium January), Goldorak (France), Jean de La Fontaine (France), Die Sendung mit der Maus (Germany, one stamp), "Helden der Kindheit" (Germany, two stamps), "Sagenhaftes Deutschland": Heinzelmännchen and Waldfrau (Germany, two stamps), Welfare - Mother Hulda (Germany, three stamps), Jean de La Fontaine (Hungary, March, one stamp), Cartoon and Fairy-tale characters (Hungary, September, one souvenir sheet), Pasaules pasakas ("World Tales", Latvia, one stamp)

The New Issues of October were the Loreley from Germany, the Storm Riders from Hong Kong, Charles Dickens from the Isle of Man, Gianni Rodari from Italy and Miffy from the Netherlands.

This has been a busy month for my own collection. As mint stamps I got the Loreley, Rupert Bear from Guernsey, the wonderful Muppets sheet from the USA and the Soaper 5 from Singapore. The Loreley as well as two of the new Bugs Bunny stamps and the German Till Eulenspiegel stamp of 2011 I also got on matching postcards. Also I got the last missing Marvel stamps from the USA on a cover plus ten of the twenty DC stamps from 2006 and a Disney set from 2008 on covers as well. Use either the labels or the archive to see them.

If I missed any news or new issues please post a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment